Sunday, February 06, 2011

Sweaty Sunday - 10 miles (again)


I’ll tell you a secret…I’m not a runner. I’m not even particularly athletic. I didn’t start running regularly until I was preparing to enter the Marine Corps Officer Candidate School (when I was nearly 24).

I ran a lot in the Marines and didn’t enjoy it. Running in “boots and utes” or to pass a PFT is no fun. Near the end of my service, though, I started running for myself. I ran to relieve stress. I ran to enjoy the scenery. I ran to feel fit. And that’s what stuck.

I still wouldn't call myself a runner. I do it, but I'm not fast. It's more therapy than anything else; it makes me feel good.

4 comments:

Christina said...

Are you training for any races in particular?

I have a half marathon next week in New Orleans.

Kasmira said...

I'm training for the full Flying Pig Marathon on May 1st. Good luck with your half! New Orleans sounds like a fun place to run!

BREAK FAST HABITS said...

There is nothing better than enjoying the great outdoors when running, you're absolutely right. I'm recovering from an injury at the moment but can't wait to get back in action. Love these new posts of yours!

GeminiJulia said...

At least you look like you're having fun...and running in STYLE!