Friday, March 26, 2010

Seeking the Perfect...

There has been much discussion of late in the blogosphere on the subject of buying multiple, identical items (or the same item in various colors). This post isn’t so much about multiples…it’s about permutations.

I’ve been fixated on the idea of the perfect gray cardigan for years now. It’s that cardigan that goes with everything, is appropriate for every occasion, and makes you look fabulous. I can’t help it, every time I enter a shop, I’m on the lookout for the gray cardis. Could this be it? Is this the holy grail of gray cardigans? As a result, I have a few of them in my wardrobe.




1. Things started off with the gray cardigan (with a detachable faux-fur collar!) from New York and Company. Then someone commented that it was too bulky and I cast it aside.


2. Very soon after, I found another, lighter, knit at Wet Seal and declared it “perfect!” But then I noticed that one side grew to be longer than the other and continued the search.


3. I found a cute gray Bitten cardi at Steve & Barry’s, but there was only an XS left. I bought it and wore it only twice because it was truly extra small.


4. The next one, from Pangaea, looked to be perfect and had pockets to boot! But the fitted shape, while great with jeans, didn’t work with my a-line skirts.


5. Then (oh, this is getting ridiculous), I found a light-as-air cardi with chiffon trim at Wal*Mart. It’s pretty, but not quite structured enough.


6. I ordered an adorable, scrunched-sleeve cardigan from Forever 21. It is a perfect fit except that I can only (barely) button it across my chest. There is no chance of buttoning it around my hips.


7. Lastly, I bought a short-sleeved cardigan from TJ Maxx that looked great in the dressing room but has disappointed me at home.


The saddest thing of all is that I don’t even have a mental picture of this “perfect” gray cardi. I’ll just know it when I find it.

The holy grail madness has begun with navy cardigans as well…




1. The Merona swing cardigan is, perhaps, a bit too swingy.


2. The Sparrow cardigan is a hair too big.


3. The Limited cardigan…oh, wait! Stop! I’ve found the perfect navy cardigan!

Now if only that came in gray.


What are you searching for?

29 comments:

kjlangford said...

booties that don't make my feet look like they belong on a clydesdale.

Or maybe that's the look?

I've given up because it's spring, at least according to the calendar.

Anonymous said...

Chestnut tall boots. With no weird buckles or adornments or anything. WHY is something so simple so hard to find?

I swear by J.Jill's Essential cardigans. They're a little boxy, so not for everyone, but clean, classic, and go with everything.

CindyinSC said...

I think I might never find the perfect purse, but that doesn't stop me from trying.

Have you tried American Apparel for cardigans? (BTW, I LOVE your navy Limited one.)

Nana Erin said...

I DO THIS TOO!~

And yes. I agree that is the perfect navy cardigan. And Edith? Needs a chill pill, or did anyway.

Megan G said...

The perfect pair of dark brown sandals with a mini-wedge. Modcloth had some that were ohsoclose, but they sold out by the time i found them.

I really like the 1st grey cardigan on the 2nd row.

CRibbits said...

I really believe that there are two things I will never find: The perfect pair of black heels; magically comfortable enough to wear on the concrete of the theater and stylish enough to go to happy hour.

A black cardi, in fact your quest for a grey one is very similar to mine that has spanned years and years.

Someone said...

I'm looking for something gray too, although I haven't been looking super hard. When I stop in somewhere I look for a long-sleeved (or even short) T-shirt in gray...that ISN'T PALE AND HEATHERED.

Why is that so tough? You'll see a line of T-shirts in 9 solids...and a light heathered gray. All. The. Time.

Well I don't wear sweats in public and I don't want to look like I'm on some sweaty sports team! Those stupid heathered Ts are just not appropriate for anything but working out. :P And they also don't look that great with my pale complexion.

On the other hand...I DO have a gray cardi that's heathered, but it's more of a gray on gray and has no white in it. I got it at a thrift store, it's the most basic drapy microfiber shrunken V-neck thin layer of a thingy from Ann Taylor that closes with hooks, and I didn't think it would be half so useful but it IS. Turns out to be one of my most versatile and easy pieces.

Good luck on your hunt!

Anonymous said...

Gray work pants. Also, gray chinos that aren't light gray, because then they have the same problem as khakis, picking up stains everywhere.

Also also, cotton cardigans that look decent and aren't $50+.

Alyssa said...

Like C, I've been searching for the perfect black cardi. I also have not found the perfect white button-up blouse!

The Cheap Chick said...

A chocolate brown shrug that doesn't tie in the front. Something nice and dark and rich that I can through on over the one zillion brown-pattern dresses I own. Sigh. Perhaps I should just make one.

Erin
The Cheap Chick

Ana said...

The perfect black flats and the perfect black cardigan.

Anonymous said...

Perfect black wedges. I want ones that don't have buckles or some stupid raffia heel.

Unknown said...

The perfect striped long sleeve T !
And floral shoes !
And a long, very full gray or taupe skirt with pockets !

The Cocoa Goddess said...

Yellow shoes. Don't know if they'll be patent. Don't know if they'll be heels. Don't even know if they'll be butter yellow or buttercup yellow. But I will know it when I find them!

Kristen said...

I don't think I've ever pinpointed my reasons for wanting to buy permutations of the same item before, so thank you for the insight! I made myself stop buying yellow sweaters after two, but they're not the right ones. That one is still out there!

grace said...

It's a cliche, but I'm pretty sure I'll be searching for perfect jeans until I die.

Courtney said...

Button-downs and jackets that are cut for bigger chests without being giants tents on the bottom, requiring infinite tailoring. I found a brand once that was cut perfectly, but it was definitely styled for...ahem...an older generation. All the cute ones are cut for small chests.

Rosie Unknown said...

A dress with a full skirt, that is built for a girl with a small chest and big hips. For some reason, bodycon dresses are fine, but the full skirted ones never fit well.

WendyB said...

I had a dire need for sunglasses (want = need) and I got them this week!

stylenuggets said...

I'm looking for the perfect dress that will make my legs look good. And the perfect foundation that will live up to all it's promises.

solasoletta said...

Flats. I need shoes to wear with all the pairs of pants I own that are slightly too short for shoes with any kind of lift. Unfortunately, I have terrible ankles and my feet need arch support, so I can't wear the beautiful flatter-than-flats that are out there.

Londyn said...

Kasmira - you should check out kohls online. there is a really cute ELLE pleated ruffle grey cardigan that reminded me of you!

Fia Kilbourn said...

I have the F21 scrunch sleeve cardi too and it is ridiculous buttoning it all the way. For me, even more so now that I am a breastfeeding mother. :-/

K said...

I'm (still) searching for a perfect pair of gray pointy toe ankle boots with less than a 3 inch heel. I thought I found them but I was wrong!

:)

Unknown said...

Kasmira, I was actually going to suggest you look at Kohl's as well. but Londyn beat me to it ;)...
I am a new reader to Londyn's and your blog. Love them both!!!! so many ideas. I live in the surrounding area of cincinnati. anyway thank you for blogging you have opened soooo many avenues for me in fashion!!.

Lorena said...

OMG.... this is a true search... I do not think I have been so serious as you have in trying to find that "perfect garment"....!

Sophia L said...

high waist skirts that fit both my hips and my waist well, and cute casual heels. I did find the heels not too long ago, but I definitely have constant skirt-dar whenever I go anywhere.

anythingreen said...

the perfect blue floral vintage-inspired dress. the color has to be a bright cobalt blue, with a dainty floral pattern, short sleeves, and has to hit me about knee-length. close, but no cigar.

Victoria said...

There are many "perfect" items I have yet to find... mostly shoes! Brown, flat-heeled boots, black mary janes with a heel that are not a) dr scholls looking or b) sexy nurse looking. The right size heel that is comfy enough for 9 hr days and not clunky also eludes me.

The cardigan though, too, is a mystery. I buy tons of them, they're never just right. But it's fun to keep trying. That what thrift stores are for!